Hi! I'm Colin Gorrie. Welcome to my home on the internet. My mission is to make accurate information about linguistics, language learning, and writing available to as many people as I can.
This page serves as a way into my writing and other projects, broken down by topic.
All resources are free except those marked with the 💰 icon.
- I teach a linguistics course aimed at people with no prior background called Language and Thought. This is a live, cohort-based course that places linguistics in conversation with philosophy, psychology, anthropology, and cognitive science to answer the question: Are the limits of my language the limits of my world? 💰
- If you'd like to meet other people interested in linguistics, you may be interested in our Discord community called Friends of the Schwa (invite link).
- Start with my interview with Natasha Lipman on The Rest Room podcast (article, audio), which gives an overview of how I approach language learning.
- Then, if you want to get a bit more into the details, check out the first half of my interview with Celine Park from Hyperlink Academy, which explains more of the basis behind my approach.
- If you want to get even more technical, check out the notes on Second Language Acquisition in my digital garden.
- Finally, I teach a regular live cohort-based course called Meta-Skills for Language Learning. This course explores the science behind how we learn languages, and offers a space to work together in a small group to improve your language learning practice. 💰
Teaching and learning online
- I've written an essay outlining my thoughts on what I call the indie future of higher education, which you can read here: Teacher, teach!.
- I also discuss this in the second half of my interview with Celine Park from Hyperlink Academy, a company which is putting many of these ideals into practice.
- I teach an introductory conlanging course called Language Construction for Beginners every few months. This is a live cohort-based course, where we roll up our sleeves and build languages from scratch. 💰